I have nothing against Intel – It’s a great company that has given us processors that have powered our desktops and laptops for many many years, and done extremely well at it. I also think that if they thought of the ultra-book, then it is a pretty neat idea, (Sure, calling it Windows air would have meant Apple took to the courts before you could say sue.) although with some of the laptops Dell claims to be Ultrabooks, one wonders what an Ultrabook really is.
But see, when someone [Acer] makes an advertisement [attaching the Ultrabook name to it] which is so dumb, that even the dumb will find it hard not to think of it as dumb, it’s just very sad.
In this particular advertisement, Megan Fox (yes, Megan Fox) apparently uses an ‘Ultrabook’ to inspire herself ? and a bunch of other scientists to hear a Dolphin talk.
There are so many things that are not right with the advertisement, that you find yourself shaking your head, twisting your mouth, wrinkling your nose, doing strange things with your eyebrows, while it plays out. Here are some irritants,
- I Googled on Megan Fox (no no, not images 😀 ), and did not find any place, where it said she was involved in any kind of research, leave alone with dolphins. Her Wikipedia article doesn’t carry any such information either.
- When you want to do a lot of research, and let’s say you want to crunch a lot of numbers, or run complex programs, what kind of computer do you use ? A server ? A server farm ? Vector Processors ? (aha, you know your Computer Architecture) Of course not – you use a sleek laptop, or wait, Ultrabook. Right ?
- I am sure loads of people that have been researching Dolphins, and have dedicated their lives to it must be going – ‘Duh! I should have bought an Ultrabook’. Oh, and have Megan Fox read stories to the Dolphins.
- There are at least 6 other researchers in the video, but it has to be Megan Fox that has to do the ‘adjusting’ before the Dolphin’s voice can be deciphered. That’s how inspired you can be with an Ultrabook, you can go to NASA mission control, and say, “ok, thrusters full power”, and all the scientists who spent the better part of their lives giving to the program will go, “Oooh, let’s clap and hug other scientists”
- Oh, and on day 103, Intel announced their next processor. 😀
So, she asks ‘How’s it going’, and suggests something like ‘Let’s increase the high frequency by 10%’. All of you guys and girls out there, who want to sound intelligent in team meetings, take note. That’s all you need to sound/seem like a researcher. Oh, that and you always have to wear a white coat to seem like a researcher. 😀
I think one Youtube comment (and not even a mean or nasty one) sums it up for me, “All I got from this ad is that Megan Fox owes some poor restaurant two lobsters.“
Youtube does some justice, by blocking Megan off the video 🙂 Life is fair after all. 😀