I have the most impossible questions when it comes to knowing about things. I read lot’s of FAQ’s on Orkut and other places. I thought I’d compile my own list as most of them are unnecessarily long and badly typed out.
Do note that I do not have first hand information and all sources of information have been collected from here, here and here. I have done a considerable amount of poring over badly written comments and statements. So if there are inaccuracies, don’t hit the roof.
1. What is the training program that I will undergo on joining?
2. What are the technologies that I may be expected to work on?
3. Will there be any evaluation during my training?
4. Is there an agreement/bond to be signed?
5. What should I do in case I am not able to open the PDF attachment and print the e-letter before I leave for the location of my initial reporting and training?
6. What are the documents that I need to carry on my joining date?
7. I am yet to receive my final mark sheets and provisional degree certificate. Can I produce then after I join?
8. Will the offer be valid till the completion of my studies?
9. Whom do I keep informed about a change in my postal address/email id?
10. Can I bring my personal computer or laptops to the Infosys campus?
11. When will I receive details of my initial accommodation? Till when can I avail the accommodation?
12. Where do I report on my joining date? Whom do I contact for my initial accommodation arrangements at my training location?
Answer to questions 01 through 12 can be found in the e-mail sent by Infosys. If you haven’t gotten it yet, be patient.
13. Do I need to prepare anything before joining the training?
Answer: Infosys had indeed given a list of books to read up on before joining the training. But if you haven’t done that, no sweat. You will be evaluated on how well you can learn and not how much you already know. It does give you an edge, but that’s all really. They teach you very well and as long as you don’t sleep,(there as well) chances are it won’t be a problem.
14. How long is the training for?
Answer: I hear that there will be a test even before the training starts.(First day of joining mostly.) It might only be for the CSE and IT students. The people clearing this test will be assigned to Short Cycle or Fast Track (as it seems to be called.) The others will be in Long Cycle. Short Cycle supposedly lasts for 8 weeks while Long Cycle lasts for 16 weeks.
15. What will we be learning in training? (Also see FAQ 2)
Answer: The training is broken into two sections. Generic Stream and Specific Stream. (You should log into your Infosys login to find out what you are expected to learn in that.)
16. How are we assigned Specific Streams?
Answer: I am not sure if there is an internal system to monitor your performances, but as far as I can see (from other comments), it seems that it is totally AT RANDOM. So all of you who cribbed about not getting a chance to choose your electives there you go, the real world is just as cruel as Engineering colleges are. It is put as based on business requirements.
17. Do I have to buy books and take any study material as such?
Answer: Not really. They have libraries. (And they will be nothing short of magnificent.) And you are given study/course material. A few say the study/course material is all you need to know to pass their exam.
18. Why is their course material called Champak ?
Answer: Your guess is as good as mine.
19. How will the exams be conducted? (or) What will be the mode of examinations?
Answer: Online I hear. It’s apparently called OLE’s (On-Line Exam)
20. What will the daily routine be like?
Answer: Morning Yoga
09:00 – Training Classes
13:00 – 1 hour Lunch
14:00 – Training Classes
17:00 – 1 hour break
18:00 – Training Classes
20:00 – Dinner
21. Are weekends off?
Answer: Yes and thank God for that.
Mysore Specific Questions:
22. So, how are hostels or rooms allocated?
Answer: A room is shared by two people. I hear the room has TV’s and two beds. It also has such things as toiletries, towels, tea bags…etc. The allotting of rooms is again random. You cannot choose your room mates.
Apparently, you can also make use of Swimming, Bowling, Tennis and Library Facilities.
23. Where in Mysore is Infosys?
Answer: The address is as follows:
Infosys Technologies Limited.
No. 350, Hebbal Electronics City,
Mysore – 570 018
24. How far is Hootagalli from Mysore Railway station?
Answer: I am not very certain of this, but it looked like less than 10 Kilometers on Wikimapia. There seems to be a station called Belagola very close to Hebbal Electronics City, but then I am not sure if Suburban Trains ply between stations.
25. How much do I have to pay for my rooms?
Answer: I hear it is Rs 1,500 -1,800 per month and it is deducted from your salary.
26. How about food? Do I have to pay for it from my pocket?
Answer: Yes, food is not on credit basis and one has to pay money. I will not comment on the quality of food. Both North Indian and South Indian Cuisines are available.
27. How will I commute within the campus?
Answer: This is one of the coolest things if you ask me. You get to drive bicycles inside the campus. Don’t worry about finding yours in the crowd. You can drive off on any bicycle as long as you stay within the campus. You better know riding a cycle though.
28. I hear there is a multiplex on the campus?
Answer: Right you are. There is one. Don’t ask me what movies will play though. With some luck you could catch The Dark Knight there.
29. What clothes do I wear?
Answer: That is clearly mentioned in the offer letter.
30. Can I take any form of electronic media inside? If, not why?
Answer: Seems like you cannot. No Cd’s ,DVD’s,Thumbdrives…etc. I heard even MP3 players are a no. Not sure of this though. You can have a cell phone with you. Camera or no camera.
As to the why, all software companies have sensitive data that should not be revealed to the outside world. They would not want you selling their company secrets. 😉
31. Do I need to carry any money with me when I go to Mysore for training?
Answer: Yes and the Infosys offer letter clearly states that it is advisable to carry a sizeable amount of money with you. Rs 5,000-6,000 should be adequate.
32. I fall sick very often. IS there a doctor on campus?
Answer: Yes. They seem to have given it some thought.
33. I have been called on 23rd June. Can I go report on the 22nd of June and stay there for the night?
Answer: Seems so. But it is best you call them up or email them and find out. But from what I read and hear, you can report one day in advance.
34. How about salary and salary accounts once inside?
Answer: Salary will be credited to your salary account. An ICICI account will be created for you on the day you join. You should have an ATM inside the campus.
35. Is it cold in Mysore? And should I carry any woolens?
Answer: Compared to Chennai yes. And maybe you should carry some woolens.
36. Can I go outside the campus on Saturdays and Sundays?
Answer: Thankfully, this is not like a Jeppiar run college. You are free to go outside the campus on weekends. Actually, you can even go on weekdays.
37. What are the other Formalities before joining ?
Answer: You need to have applied for a passport, a four wheeler driving licence and registered yourself with NSR. (National Skills Registry.)
38. I have more questions. What should I do?
P.S: I am turning comments off because I do not want stupid questions like, I am afraid of joining, what should I do ?
Here are a few pictures of the Infosys Mysore campus I found online: