The Zune is Microsoft’s portable music player. (I am tempted to say mp3 player, but it plays more than that.) Well you can read about it anywhere on the internet, but as an owner, I thought I’d share my experience in using it.
Briefly about Zune:
Zune was launched in the year 2006 approximately 1 year before the current date. It was launched as a 30 GB player. However Solid state versions and a 80GB version are soon to follow.
Zune is made by microsoft. Actually the 1G(First generation) Zune was Toshibas Gigabeat S reworked and software by MS. I don’t know if this alliance will/is continuing from 2G onwards.
Apart form music, it also supports Images/pictures, Videos and FM radio.
I am one of the admirers of Apple ipod. Or should I say was. Ipod was the ultimate mp3 player. When the Ipod came with the picture ipod, and then the Video Ipod, people were going crazy. It is a well marketed device, no doubt at all. And the features are good as well.
- Ipod was released in 2001. So thats 6 years before MS released their player. For 6 years they have led the market sales.
- It is the largest selling music player in history with 110 million units sold already.
Zune Vs Ipod:
I am sure Ipod and Apple fans will not even like a comparison, but here are some of the features i liked in Zune better than Ipod:
- The screen is a 3″(inch) screen compared to Ipods 2.5″ scren
- The model though bulkier, I like the appearance better.
- The interface even in the absense of the click wheel is good.
- Its got Wi-fi which can soon sync with your computer. Earlier it only allowed Zune to Zune or Zune to X-box limited transfers. (Limited transfers mean, you can listen to the song only a few times after which it gets deleted.)
Some of the low points of both Zune and Ipod are that the formats that they support are minimal be it audio or video. The Zune says its 2G will support more formats. But if you want a player that can play DivX and Xvid movies, Go for Creative Zen!! An excellent player.